In this episode, we meet new Carver College of Medicine Learning Communities Coordinator Megan McDowell, who I shanghaied into being on the show after she’d been on the job only 4 days and 3 hours. Then Terrance Wong shares a painful moment from his past growing up in Oakland, California, amidst gangs and gang violence, and what he’s trying to do for a pre-medicine student who’s searching for his own exit strategy. What can healthcare professionals do in the face of such upheaval?
- The Other Wes Moore, by Wes Moore
- McNair Scholars Program
- Upward Bound
- Summer Research Opportunities Program
- Hospital Gives Free Tattoo Removals to Gang Members
- Fighting Gangs the Healthy Way
- Health Care Professionals Response to Gang Violence