Miriam Murray and Keenan Laraway bring us tales from their residency interview trail, including Keenan’s real-life “is there a doctor in the house” moment during his flight from Washington to Chicago, with a guest appearance by John Boehner. Continue reading Shakes on a Plane
Happy Thanksgiving! Have a heaping slice of Greg Woods, Lisa Wehr, Cole Cheney, and Corbin Weaver who cover the attention Mattel’s Barbie is getting for being a shockingly bad computer engineer, and whether and how this sort of bias against the competence of women appears in medical education. Continue reading Barbie is a Terrible Computer Engineer
This week an overly caffeinated Dave is joined by new podcaster Jordan Harbaugh-Williams, who, along with Cole Cheney, Corbin Weaver, and Aline Sandouk discuss the Midwesterner habit of being polite; the Deeded Body Ceremony; and Cole outs Corbin’s possible run for office in medical school government. That’s not confirmed, by the way–her spokespeople say she’s currently exploring her options and hasn’t ruled out a campaign. Also, a drive through pain medicine clinic in Texas is shut down, for some reason. Tulane opens a teaching kitchen for medical students. A review of lithopedion cases. And a Chinese man gets a 3D printed skull implant operation.
- 38-Year-Old Skeleton Removed from Woman, 62
- Victoria’s Drive Thru Doc indicted
- Tulane School of Medicine opens first-of-its-kind teaching kitchen
- Farmer left with chunk missing from his skull after fall has it rebuilt with 3D printer
This week, first-year medical student Corbin Weaver joins the team, and gives Keenan Laraway the low-down on her orientation week experiences. We discuss the alleged shady medical theories of Dr. Henry Heimlich (of the eponymous maneuver), a 6-year-old’s MAGEC spine correction treatment, Walmart’s desire to be your primary care doc’s office, and a device that might just revolutionize the transportation of (and therefore the whole process of transplanting) donor organs.
- Is this the next big leap for organ transplants?
- Walmart wants to be your doctor’s office.
- How Dr. Heimlich Maneuvered Hollywood into backing his dangerous AIDS “cure”.
- 6-year-old boy with scoliosis is first in New York area to get magnetic spine lengthening.